The society was founded in 1889, meeting in the Camberwell area of South East London. This was then a middle-class area with fields nearby. Early members included well-known photographers of the turn of the century. These included Dr. Farmer who first described the reducer named after him. Later members included Louis Gandolfi (1864-1932), who founded the large format camera company that still bears his name. Left is a picture of Dr. Edwards who was the first president of the club.
The Evershed Shield is one of our oldest competitive award for depicting London Life and Architecture. This was named after the society’s President of that period, Dr. Evershed. The latest image to win this award is on display at our Award winners page.