History of Society – Change and Development

In 1947, the Society was a founder member of the new Federation of South London Photographic Societies, which encouraged meetings between clubs for the competition of panels of prints and slides over the whole of south London.

At the end of the 1950s, the Society moved premises to Trewsbury Road, Sydenham and briefly changed it’s name to Sydenham & South London PS . After a while the meetings were held in a church hall in Jews Walk and when this was demolished we moved to a more accessible venue at the Bromley Road Library. Here an annual competition was held which was open to the public. The Sydenham part of the name was dropped.

Several moves were made in Catford. A final move was made in early 2000 to our present venue at the Perry Rise Baptist Church.

Support for the federation continues, with internal print and projected image competitions for numerous trophies, visiting lecturers on various aspects of photography and arranged outings, in very different circumstances than 1889.

Advertisements